Allen Liversidge was registered on 1 April 1927 at 99 Park Road, Newtown with Harvey Shacklock appointed as the company’s first CEO.
The company was the result of merging of six independent gas companies:
- The Oxygen Company
- ; Usshers Oxygen
- The Oxygen divisions of Lever Brothers and Herald Soap
Its first chairman was Dr. JH Dobson of Dowson & Dobson, a company Afrox was to acquire in 1969.
The site of the present Durban branch and regional office, The Old Harbour Police Station, Maydon Wharf, Durban purchased for £1,100. This is the site of the present Durban branch and regional office.
Allen-Liversidge, with plants in Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban, opens in Bulawayo (Rhodesia - now Zimbabwe) and Bwana Mkabwa (Northern Rhodesia - now Zambia), with oxy-acetylene as the core business, and Port Elizabeth.
The Manufacture of filling rods and fluxes started
The Newtown head office and works expanded with opening of an acetylene installation.
The Durban branch provides oxygen to blast railway tunnels between Durban and Pietermaritzburg.