- Employees asked to take “late ownership” of their jobs.
- Supply scheme customers increase to 13.
- Afrox is the first and only gas company to be awarded the SABS 0157 quality systems listing for its bulk air separation products.
- The BOC Award for Technology won by Afrox for its dynamic Goldox system using pure oxygen in gold recovery. This system was introduced into several gold mines with success.
- Pretoria Iscor plant commissioned.
- Germiston No. 4 plant scrapped.
- MRI installed at St. George’s.
- Aids education programme launched.
- Afrox achieves record sales of helium balloon gas marketed as Partigas and Bocogas.
- IPV, a valve manufacturer, was sold.
- Launched AfroxPac, self rescue system used by underground miners.
- Minority interests acquired in Mercantile in Port Elizabeth and Crompton.
- Royden Vice appointed managing director.
- Largest argon purification unit in southern hemisphere costing R15 million commissioned by Afrox at Pretoria West.
- Anncron and Daylene Clinic purchased
- Princess in Hillbrow closed.
- Corporate governance introduced.
- Afrox acquires Engen’s LPG cylinder business for R88 million. The acquisition includes all LPG filling operations contracted to Engen including SA Energy Corporation, Mobil, Trek, Sonap and Homegas.
- Afrox placed first in Leadership magazine’s SA’s Most Admired Companies.
- Peter Joubert retires. Royden Vice appointed chairman.
- Healthcare has 14 hospitals, 2 day clinics.
- Cardiac catheterisation unit for Glynnwood.
- Neurosurgery introduced at Entabeni.
- Direct Medicines formed.
- Afrox lists on Namibian Stock Exchange.
- LPG bulk storage depot at Roodekop opens.
- Afrox acquires 35 percent in Lasey, Seychelles.
- Acquired Afrox Occupational Healthcare.
- Contract secured for sole supply of oxygen, nitrogen and argon to Highveld Steel leading to the construction of Mpumalanga ASU plant.
- Shares split 10 for 1.
- Turnover reaches R2 billion for first time.
- Afrox Healthcare Network formed.
- Healthcare acquires Vincent Pallotti in Cape Town, Springsmed in Springs and St James in East London.
- CO2 plant commissioned at Sasol.
- Empangeni Private Clinic opens.
- Acquired Caltex LPG business.
- Centralised Customer Service Centre opens in Germiston.
- Flora Clinic acquired.
- The Mpumalanga Plant, Afrox’s largest project ever, a R270 million gas producing plant and a 50 km gas pipeline was opened to supply industrial gases to major customers in the Mpumalanga area.
- The Suikerbosrand Clinic, Heidelburg opens.
- World class gas welding products designed and made of local and global markets.
- PE Hospital group of six hospitals acquired.
- The BOC Board recommended that shareholders accept the offer from Air Liquide and Air Products to buy The BOC Group.
- Afrox and PresMed merged to form a new company. Afrox Healthcare Limited was listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange on October 4, 1999.
- Rick Hogben was appointed managing director of Afrox Healthcare Limited.